Education involves the totality of human formation given to an individual or group and when these formation, he is said to be Educated.
The education department of the Catholic Diocese of Nnewi was created with the establishment/erection of the diocese in 2002. The pioneer director was Very Rev. Fr. Peter Uzonna Ezeani. He took the responsibility of managing the directorate till 2012 when he handed over to Very Rev. Fr. Cletus Ifeanyi Chukwuemeka who is the current director.
The department has the following units:
- The Moral and Religious Education both Secondary and Primary), these units oversee the teaching and learning of Moral and Doctrine in all the Schools without exception.
- Planning, Research and Statistics ( PRS), this unit takes care of harnessing the academic activities, examinations, statistics of the schools, etc.
- The accounting unit, this is responsible for the financial records and other accounting matters.
Generally, we have two categories of schools in the Diocese
- Returned Mission Schools, these schools are those schools which the government of the East Central State took over forcefully from the Mission In 1973 and after forty something years, she returned them back to the Mission under the government of Chief Peter Obi, the then governor of Anambra State in 2009 (for Secondary schools) and 2011 ( for Primary schools).
- Parochial Schools, these are schools owned by Diocese/Parishes/Religious Congregations/some individuals operating under the Diocesan Education policy.
On the whole 118 Returned Mission Primary Schools and 4 Returned Secondary Schools. We have also 37 parochial Secondary Schools and 48 primary schools, bringing the total number to 207 schools under the Diocese.
We supervise the schools to see that the standard of education is maintained.
Through the assistance of the Universal Basic Education Commission (Federal and State), we are engaged in building and renovation of school blocks of the returned schools. We have built and renovated over 160 school blocks in different schools in the zone, Nnewi Zone, which comprises: Nnewi North L.G.A, Nnewi South L.G.A, Ihiala, and Ekwusigo L.G.A
The department is aiming at setting the standard for others to follow.
Education Secretary (Office): Fr. Cletus Chukwuemeka
Secondary Schools: Fr. Michael Udebuani
Primary Schools: Sr. Maria Angelica Dike IHM (Religious Education):
Catholic Secondary Schools Owned by Parishes
i. Principal, Msgr. Joseph Nwibegbunam Sec. School, Otolo-Nnewi:
Rev. Fr. Aloysius Nzukor
ii. Principal, St. Anthony's Secondary School, Osumenyi : Fr. Isaac Azudugwu
iii. Principal, St. Paul's Secondary School, Utuh: Rev. Fr. Hyacinth Izuegbu
iv. Principal, Sacred Heart College, Oraifite: Rev. Fr. Damian Nnaji
v. Manager, Mater Dei Secondary School, Oraifite: Rev. Fr. Gabriel Ugwunwangwu, CM
vi. Principal, St. Michael's Academy, Nnewi: Rev. Fr. Lawrence Nnoyiba
vii. Principal, St. Michael's Boys Secondary School, Eziora-Ozubulu: Fr. Ike Muomah
viii. Manager, St. Joseph's Secondary School, Okofia, Otolo-Nnewi: Fr. Nathaniel Madubugwu
St. Paul's School of Theological Studies
Director: Fr. Jude Umeh
Assistant Director: Fr. Alphonsus Okonkwor